Marth Mariam Vanitha Samajam (St Mary’s Orthodox women’s League) was founded in 1920 aimed at the spiritual progress of women of the Malankara Orthodox Church. . The founders named it “Marth Mariam Vanitha Samajam”after the Blessed Virgin Mary whom they accepted as their interceding saint. It was started under the patronage of the Late Very Rev. M.C.Kuriakose Ramban and with the leadership of K.M Annamma. and co-workers.
Marth Mariam Vanitha Samajam is one of the major spiritual organizations of the church combining all the female members. It is spread throughout the world in all the 24 Dioceses and functioning in all parishes of the church. In the South West American Diocese, this organization is spiritually strengthening under the leader ship of the Diocesan Metropolitan, H.G. Alexios Mar Eusebius.
- Preparing women to have Theological and Biblical knowledge by attending various courses, trainings and seminars
- Encouraging women to participate in the church choir to improve the liturgical music in line with the Sruthi School of Liturgical Music, Kottayam, India
- Training women to have awareness of social problems and help with right decision-making at every level.
- Attempts to find out women’s potentials to a greater extent to promote leader ship qualities. .
- Training women to conduct prayer groups, Bible classes, fellowship meetings and preach the gospel.
- Preparing to solve the problems of working women.
- Seek solidarity with women’s action groups on local, national and inter-national levels .Encouraging more participation in ecumenical gatherings.
- Enhance spirituality by observing canonical lents, engaging in charity work and practicing family prayers
- Encourage women to actively participate in the OVBS / Sunday school Program of each parish in bringing up children in the orthodox faith.
- Encourage women to take an active role in the administration of the church and other committees at regional and diocesan level.